Around 1914, a small group of Christians commenced a church in Windygates. Some had links with the Gospel Hall, Innerleven. Others had links with a Church in Kennoway. They initially met in a house on Kennoway Road, then later hired the Shepherd's Lesser Hall in Station Road and then for almost 40 years used the Miners' Welfare Institute on Milton Road. In 1926, an evangelist, Thomas Hynd from Hamilton, conducted a Gospel Mission. The Mission was a great success. So many people attended that the meetings had to be moved to larger premises. A good number of people became Christians. They were thereafter baptised and became members of the church.
Though still quite small in number, they were active in evangelism, with a Sunday School, distribution of Gospel literature and open-air preaching, as well as a Sunday evening Gospel Meeting. Windygates was a quiet, close-knit community. The Christians were well-known and most of the children in the village were sent along to 'the Gospel Sunday School'. In 1933, some of the company left to form a new congregation in Methilhill. In 1956, others left Windygates to establish a Gospel Hall in the new town of Glenrothes.
In 1944, Ian MacKay started a Bible Class Camp. These were held every summer for many years. Large numbers of young people from all over Fife attended. Even today, many look back to these camps with great affection. Another member of the Windygates Assembly was Jim Wardlaw of Henderson Park. A joiner by trade, he was respected by all in the village. He became involved in the Fife Gospel Tent. Tent Missions were held each summer in different locations throughout Fife. As the Gospel was preached, many people came to Christ.
In 1976, the Assembly expressed an interest in the Arnot Church, Kennoway. They were able to use it for some Gospel Meetings, conducted by John Gordon, a ploughman turned preacher, from Hopeman. In January 1977, they purchased the property and moved from Windygates to Kennoway. The first meeting was attended by Harry King. Brought up in Bonnybank and Windygates, he had left Scotland in 1932 to go to Brazil as a missionary. When he died in 2003, a fellow-missionary declared: 'His presence, powerful ministry and perfumed life will be so sadly missed'. Among the changes made at the Arnot were the removal of the central heating pipes that ran under the pews and the installation, in 1985, of a baptismal tank. A Kennoway man, John Close, was the first to be baptised by immersion at the Arnot.
Throughout the years in Kennoway, the Assembly has sought to reach the community with the Gospel in different ways. Although the people who have preached from the Arnot have changed over the years, the message still remains the same: